Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1LsvWyf6X

4.19.2011

ikat

ikat |ˈēkät|nounfabric made using an Indonesian decorative techniquein which warp or weft threads, or both, are tie-dyed before weaving.
ORIGIN 1930sMalayliterally fastentie.’


Ikat has been everywhere the past couple of years, I must say the print's staying power has kind of surprised me.  It has cascaded down from home dec to clothing. One blog I follow, Elements of Style did a post on Ikat, and it got me to thinking.  A couple of days later I got an email from Z Gallerie 
ikat


ikat by emedford featuring a star dress


Kate Spade star dress, $325
Tory Burch printed bag, $26
Matthew Williamson printed scarve, $325
















I first noticed ikat print several years ago when I was redoing my room here in Lubbock.  I fell in love with this Robert Allen textile; 




Sadly for me it did not quite work for what I needed.  I was recovering my upholstered headboard and wanted to have the matching bedskirt and window treatments, so I needed a fabric that could be railroaded and hang as panel draperies.  


A few weeks ago I got a new Drexel china cabinet for a steal, so Leigh & I went to the fabric store one day to find some fun fabric to use inside the shelves to lighten up.  While browsing, Leigh came running over with a bolt of that Robert Allen ikat, on sale for $5/yard (over 75% off), FTW!  There was around 6 yards left, so I bought the whole bolt, which was about the price of one yard originally.  Here's what the cabinet looks like currently (still working on arranging the inside).










Now, I'm using a bit of it to make a tote bag for school.  My other spring tote bag is a VERY brightly colored Lilly Pulitzer, so I thought I'd make a more subdued bag (kinda).  Here's a rough pic:




The sister & I got into The Woodlands late last night & I am SO happy to be back, I don't even mind the humidity, much better than rampant wildfires.  I hope everyone has a lovely, springy Easter weekend!! Tonight we're going to the James Taylor concert here, fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment